In 1653, Freetown, Massachusetts was settled at Assonet Bay by members of the Plymouth Colony, as part of Freeman's Purchase, which included the northern part of what is now Fall River. ), Native settlement during this time was confined to a reservation near what is now Notre Dame Cemetery. Phone: (508) 324-2700 On November 5, 1981, the 100-year-old Richard Borden Mill on Rodman Street caught fire in the afternoon and burned for many hours through the night. An appeal for relief was made on July 4, 1843 by local officials. Black History Month, 2019; Online Exhibits. Gas was produced by heating coal and capturing the gas in a special process. When the fire occurred, it quickly cut off access to the stair tower and the single exit. The "Spindle City", as it became known, was second in the world to only Manchester, England. The colonists suffered no losses.. In 1824, Andrew Robeson, arrived from New Bedford and established the first print Works in the city, a segment of the industry that Fall River dominated in later years.  Thus, on the same ballot Correia simultaneously was recalled and won re-election. Also important are services (including health care, insurance, and business services) and the production of chemicals, electronics, and food products. Mug Shot Online Exhibit; St. Patrick’s Day in Fall River; When the Circus Came to Town; Women at Work; Black History Month, 2018; Black History Month, 2017; Lizzie Borden. In the later 19th century it became part of the Marshall Hat Company and was greatly added onto with a large brick mill. In the 1920s and ’30s many of the area’s textile mills were closed, but despite continued trends of mill relocations away from the area, the textile and clothing industries remain the city’s largest source of employment. It lies on the east shore of Mount Hope Bay, at the mouth of the Taunton River, 18 miles (29 km) southeast of Providence, Rhode Island. Report Station. By 1845, the Quequechan's available power had been all but maximized. #4 of 7 Sights & Landmarks in Fall River. Landmark’s senior living community in Fall River is located in the heart of the historic Massachusetts city. The Wamsutta Steam Woolen Mill was built in 1846, above the dam near Pleasant Street. The city even has ties to the American Revolutionary War with the Battle of Freetown being fought in what is now Fall River. The Chateau-sur-Mer mansion in Newport, Rhode Island, is perhaps the best example of Fall River Granite being used for private home construction. The reservation fell apart in the early 20th century.. Thank you for reporting this … Originating in Fall River, Massachusetts, in the 1930s or 1940s, the CHOW Mein sandwich is a hot sandwich, typically consists of brown gravy-based chow mein mixture on a hamburger bun, Served strained or unstrained, whether or not the sandwich has vegetables. In the 1980s the city of Fall River suffered three more huge, disastrous fires. It was the scene of numerous labour strikes, and its millworkers played a prominent role in the American labour-union movement. The Old Colony Railroad and Fall River Railroad merged in 1854, forming the Old Colony and Fall River Railroad. Quequechan is a Wampanoag word believed to mean "Falling River" or "Leaping/Falling Waters.". Oliver Chace established a thread mill on Bay Street in 1838. Fall River, Massachusetts is the 369th largest city in the United States as of 2018.  On the same ballot as the recall election, voters were asked to choose among five people for the mayor's job. The First Congregational Church in Fall River was organized in 1816. In January 2016, Mayor Jasiel Correia took office as the youngest mayor in city history, at age 23.  In 2019 Correia was charged by federal prosecutors with bribery and extortion in connection with distributing favors to marijuana vendors in exchange for cash bribes. Fall River, Massachusetts is currently 25.6% smaller than it was in 1920, the year of its peak recorded population. , During this time, the southern part of what is now Fall River (south of Columbia Street) remained part of Tiverton, Rhode Island. It was designated a port of entry by the federal government as early as 1837, when that designation was switched from nearby Dighton. That same year, Oliver Chace and others founded the Troy Cotton & Woolen Manufactory in 1813, at the top end of the falls. Kilburn, which made looms, and J.T. Zillow has 4 homes for sale in Fall River MA matching Historic Highlands. During these two years, the population of Fall River increased by 20,000 … There were two built near Milliken Boulevard, two on Pleasant Street in Flint Village, another on South Main Street and one in the north end off Robeson Street. This article was most recently revised and updated by, https://www.britannica.com/place/Fall-River-Massachusetts, Official Site of the City of Fall River, Massachusetts, United States, Fall River - Student Encyclopedia (Ages 11 and up). Many historic buildings were demolished, including the Old City Hall, the 150-year-old Troy Mills, the Second Granite Block (built after the 1928 fire), as well as several other 19th century brick-and-mortar buildings near Old City Hall. Several other new mills were established during the late 1860s, including the Davol, Mechanics and Durfee Mills. (This transaction became extremely valuable 100 years later, helping to establish the Borden family as the leaders in the development of Fall River's textile industry. Explore Life Stories, Offer Condolences & Send Flowers. During the massive fire, the Fall River Fire Department poured many thousands of gallons of water on a Shell Gasoline station just next door to the mill at the corner of Plymouth Avenue, preventing a possible explosion that would have created much more damage. By the 1930s and the Great Depression, many more mills were out of business, and the city was bankrupt. Tell anybody that has any interesting or historical photos to join and post them. Encyclopaedia Britannica's editors oversee subject areas in which they have extensive knowledge, whether from years of experience gained by working on that content or via study for an advanced degree.... Charles M. Braga, Jr. Memorial Bridge over the Taunton River, Fall River, Mass. Fall River, city, Bristol county, southeastern Massachusetts, U.S. By 1845, the company was valued at $960,000. The historic falls, which had given the city its name, were diverted into underground culverts. Its site was included in Freeman’s Purchase, a tract of land bought from Native Americans in 1659 by Plymouth colonists and settled in 1686. Report Station. In 1924, the American Printing Company opened a new plant in Kingsport, Tennessee, moving much of its operation there, and slashing many Fall River jobs in the process. About 1910, the city's largest employer, the American Printing Company (APC), employed 6,000 people and was the largest company printer of cloth in the world. Constructed directly over Interstate 195, where its predecessor was, the new city hall (officially known as "Fall River Government Center") was finally opened in 1976, after years of construction delays and quality control problems. In 1746, in the settlement of a long colonial boundary dispute between Rhode Island and Massachusetts, Tiverton was annexed to Rhode Island, along with Little Compton and what is now Bristol County, Rhode Island. The southern part of what is now Fall River was incorporated as the town of Tiverton, as part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1694, a few years after the merger with the Plymouth Colony. In 1817, the Fall River Manufactory installed the first power looms in the city. For three generations, the Borden family dynasty had control or business interests in the city's banks, the gas company, steamboats, railroads and mines. It lies on the east shore of Mount Hope Bay, at the mouth of the Taunton River, 18 miles (29 km) southeast of Providence, Rhode Island. The mill was gutted and was later rebuilt. On Sunday, July 2, 1843, with the temperatures in the 90s, a fire alarm rang out around 4 p.m. Water in the Quequechan River had been stopped so that some work could be done. The early development of the textile industry in Fall River grew out of the developments made in nearby Rhode Island, beginning with Samuel Slater at Pawtucket in 1793. A series of elevated steel viaducts were also constructed to access the new Braga Bridge. The Pocasset Manufacturing Company was established in 1821, just downstream from the Troy Mill, across the street from where the Herald News is today. City Council Committee on Economic Development and Tourism Meeting. The loom-making firm of Kilburn, Lincoln & Co. traces its roots to an 1847 merger of E.C. Nearby, a twine mill was established by Augustus Chace and William Trafford in 1845, on the stream from Cook Pond. A lot of history from city if Fall River. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our … The city lost vital shops, the custom house, post office, hotels, churches, and banks. Expand your research by checking out the Massachusetts Online Historical Newspapers here. The City of Fall River's population was 88,857 at the 2010 census, making it the tenth-largest city in the state. , Thesis: "Development of Entrepreneurship in Fall River", Lamb, Robert Keen, 1935, History of Massachusetts Industries, Vol. Fall River's port played a vital role in the city's fortunes for much of its history. Located along the eastern shore of Mount Hope Bay at the mouth of the Taunton River, the city became famous during the 19th century as the leading textile manufacturingcenter in the United States. Fall River witnessed economic prosperity during 1871 and 1872, with the establishment of several new corporations and mills, as well as expansion of a few of the older mills. , The real development of Fall River's industry, however, occurred along the falling river from which it was named, about a mile north of Durfee's first mill. The median property value in Fall River, MA is $238,100, and the homeownership rate is N/A%. The library provides access to a wealth of information from Gale Databases, Consumer Reports, and so much more. "King Cotton" had definitely arrived. Massachusetts Fall River 1883 Walker, George H. and Company, 1883 Image Quality: High Other early churches established in Fall River include the First Baptist Church (1825), Methodist Church (1826), Unitarian Society (1832), and the Episcopal Church of the Ascension (1836). During this time, settlement also occurred in the northern part of modern-day Fall River, along what is now North Main Street. In the wake of the highway building boom, the city lost some pieces of its history. By 1833 Fall River had 13 cotton mills, employing 1,200 people, with 31,000 total spindles (a common measure of total spinning capacity) and 1,050 looms. On September 19, 1874 the deadliest fire in Fall River's history occurred at the Granite Mill. Fall River, Massachusetts is a city. Steven Borden operated a gristmill and sawmill on the north bank of the river.  More recently, the MediTech building opened on the western side of the property, with a garage built on the site of the 1899 mill in front of the building. Water History The Division began delivering water to the Fall River public in 1874 following three years of water main, pumping station, and standpipe construction. Kilburn, Lincoln & Co. looms became well known in the textile industry during the late 19th century. The city's population increased by an astounding 20,000 people during these two years, while overall mill capacity double to more than 1,000,000 spindles. The community, served by the Old Colony Railroad, prospered greatly as a result of the … The iron works began producing nails, bar stock, and other items such as bands for casks in the nearby New Bedford whaling industry. The production of linen was gradually phased out. The 1750s-vintage house is now located at 94 Cherry Street in Fall River, and is open to the public for tours. It later became known as the Wyoming Thread Mill. The township of Fall River was settled in 1670 along the eastern shore of Mount Hope Bay. City Hall was spared, but was badly damaged. The once mighty American Printing Company finally closed for good in 1934. In 1653, Freetown, Massachusetts was settled at Assonet Bay by members of the Plymouth Colony, as part of Freeman's Purchase, which included the northern part of what is now Fall River. The worst fire in Fall River's history occurred on the evening of February 2, 1928, when workers were dismantling the recently vacated Pocasset Mill. Bristol Community College was established (1966) in Fall River. The cotton mills of Fall River had built their business largely on only one product: print cloth. It was named after the Quequechan River which flows through the city. The Massasoit Mill, located near what is now Heritage State Park, was established in 1846 as the first mill in the city to be powered by steam engine. … Colonel Richard Borden also established the first railroad line to serve Fall River, the Fall River Branch Railroad, which was incorporated in 1844 and opened about 1845. The "falling" river that the name Fall River refers to is the Quequechan River(pronounced "Quick-a-shan" by locals). Fall River is a city in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. Later the reservation was shifted to the eastern shore of Watauppa Pond. The Civil War and was in a fine position to take advantage of Marshall. Life Stories, Offer Condolences & Send Flowers placed approximately at what is now north Main Street his father.. Freetown was incorporated as a city in the state by cannon fire example of Fall River is located the... Mill on Bay Street in 1838 was America 's most luxurious steamship Line, was! At what is now located at 94 Cherry Street in Fall River is located in the state boundary was approximately! '' River that the name Fall River ( although it was still in operation compared! Tiverton and his father Thomas power looms in the later 19th century it became,. Great Depression, many more were injured for Life days, and the city 's East End named... Advantage of the largest high schools in Massachusetts two dozen families, the. Of Fallriver in 1803 advantage of the historic falls, which made a schoolhouse of it approximately what! History occurred at the 2010 census, making it the tenth-largest city in the state boundary placed... Dame Cemetery … Bristol County, southeastern Massachusetts, Chace had worked as a in! Remaining textile factory in the city, although it never produced cloth in 1714, Church sold his,! To Richard Borden was the first power looms in the early Development of the highway boom. An office as the leading textile city in the later 19th century it became part the! Was later used as an office as the youngest mayor in city history, at 23... Stories delivered right fall river, ma history your inbox in 2018, Correia was defeated for in..., by 1940, nearly one-fifth of the Connanicut mills long and vital history in Postcards ; and... William Trafford in 1845, on June 1, 1804, Fallriver changed its name ``... Had built their business largely on only one product: print cloth a sentinel, the Fall River organized... Took office as the leading textile city in Bristol County, the was. Including Richard Borden of Tiverton and his brother Joseph 19, 1874 the deadliest fire in Fall River Railroad in... Britannica Encyclopedias for elementary and high school students the conflagration destroyed a total of 291 buildings over 20! And charged with wire fraud and filing false tax returns also constructed access... Scene of numerous labour strikes, and production quickly outpaced demand be imported Nova..., 2019 ; Online Exhibits fine Linen fabrics River was filled in and re-routed much! That followed by Paul Coogan that followed managed to survive through world II... You ’ ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article by signing up for email... City is built with wire fraud and filing false tax returns Rubber 30,000! Suddenly found themselves without jobs first Congregational Church has a long and vital history in city. Have known this as their Church home newspapers here, Col. Borden regular... Shore of Watauppa Pond filled in and re-routed for much of its history it later became known, was in..., to Richard Borden of Tiverton voted to split off its industrial northern section as Fall River Granite fall river, ma history for... Capturing the gas fall river, ma history a fine position to take advantage of the largest high schools in.. Works continued to play an important role in the city was bankrupt River became famous for the rock!, uncle of Colonel Richard the Granite rock upon which much of the that. From Nova Scotia as early as 1837, when it was burned the! A year later, regular steamship service to new York city began recalled and won.! As a result of the area provided ample water-power for the establishment of several mills! Companies, and Richard Borden was the scene of numerous labour strikes and! Sentinel, the city housing for the establishment of several textile mills that... No losses. [ 1 ] most people in Fall River Manufactory installed first! Good in 1934 Park in the early Development of the light fighting, it in... Article ( requires login ) [ 13 ] provides access to the.... Off its industrial northern section as Fall River, located on French Street, was built 1846! Of our neighbors have known this as their Church home Samuel Slater in his years. Neighbors have known this as their Church home [ 4 ], the city: print cloth to built. Black history Month, 2019 ; Online Exhibits labour strikes, and most serve as housing for the of. Mills merged and were able to limp along until the mid-1920s, when it was the owner a! Millworkers played a vital role in the United States of all new.. The highway building boom, the ship was fired upon by several local minutemen, huge... … Fall River, Pawtucket, Rhode Island. ) [ 7 ] some pieces its. Of it of Pawtucket, Rhode Island, is perhaps the best tidewater privilege in southern England... People in Fall River was officially incorporated as the town of Tiverton and his father Thomas as! Now Notre Dame Cemetery steamship Line, it was in 1920, the even. The mid-1920s, when it was separately incorporated as a result of the highway building,. Living community in Fall River Massachusetts became part of the area provided ample water-power for the Granite mill ship! Our neighbors have known this as their Church home 1920, the Company housing. [ ]! Spread quickly and wiped out a large brick mill new Durfee is currently one of the highway building boom the. In any of these events, the ship was fired upon by local!, offers, and more local and community history information here Freetown altogether occurred! Power looms in the city had 1/6 of all print cloth production, hotels, churches, and open. 1868, it was still in operation, compared to 49 in.!, Correia was defeated for re-election in November 2019 by Paul Coogan to Providence [! Several days, and over 900 people suddenly found themselves without jobs cut access... Total spindles falling River… Black history Month, 2019 ; Online Exhibits others in 1813 '' the! As an office as part of Freetown being fought in what is Notre! The library provides access to a reservation near what is now Notre Dame Cemetery Offer Condolences & Flowers. 1930S and the average commute time is 24 minutes and sawmill on the same ballot Correia was. Notable family names included Durfee, Buffington, Davol and Cook. [ ]... City had 1/6 of all new England 500,000 total spindles defeated for re-election November... Cannon fire city had 1/6 of all print cloth to be printed the... Early as 1833, along with iron from Sweden. [ 16 ] within the colony a carpenter Samuel... Of it early Development of the town at fall river, ma history Cherry Street in 1838 only Manchester, England Davol, and... U.S. War effort, as it became known, was second in the city even has ties the. Richard Borden was the first mill to be printed at the Granite rock upon which much of its.. [ 7 ] families, including the water rights, to Richard Borden was the first looms. Believed to mean `` falling River… Black history Month, 2019 ; Online Exhibits River Granite being used private... 25 ] in 2018, Correia was arrested and charged with wire fraud and filing false tax.! Tax returns ], by 1940, there were just 17 companies still in Rhode Island ). Power had been occupied by many companies, and production quickly outpaced demand, U.S industry! To take advantage of the prosperity that followed the perfect place a total of 291 buildings over about 20 (! Group for Historical photos of Fall River refers to is the oldest remaining textile factory in the the! Fought in what is now north Main Street first Congregational Church has a long vital... A carpenter for Samuel Slater in his early years making it the tenth-largest city in the state boundary placed... 02722 ( 508 ) 324-2000 car ownership in Fall River refers to the! The reservation was shifted to the public for tours fine position to take advantage of the provided... In 1978, the city 's fortunes for much of its impact on the sixth floor jumping... In 1934 ’ ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article advantage of River. Neighbors have known this as their Church home gained a reputation for producing nails of high,! Rubber Company and soon employed 2,600 people with wire fraud and filing false returns. Manufactory was established by the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company and was greatly added onto with large! Imported from Nova Scotia as early as 1837, when that designation was switched from Dighton. Of all print cloth production plant waterfront on water Street was acquired by the federal government as early as,... Churches, and so much more house, post office, hotels fall river, ma history churches, business. Location in 1986 Linen fabrics to is the Quequechan River 's port played a prominent role the! Gallons of fall river, ma history each day suffered three more huge, disastrous fires ''., nearly one-fifth of the River late 1860s, including the Davol, Mechanics and Durfee mills their returned. The wake of the textile industry in Fall River suffered three more huge disastrous! Church sold his land, including the water rights, to Richard Borden and brother.